BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A noble human being

A good friend of mine used to comment on how lucky I am to work as a doctor. He reckons that being a doctor makes it easier for me to do good deeds. As for him, since he is not one, he becomes obsessed in searching for good deeds to be done - joining a voluntary paramedic service.

I do not agree with his sentiment. Yes, we are in a position and place where helping people is a daily occurrence. But apart from the act of helping the important thing is our intentions. What is it that drive doctors in their daily work? I must say not many doctors are 'noble' as we are made to believe. There are many who are driven by other factors :wealth, position, status, politics, and even knowledge. The patient is secondary. It is a sad sad reality but that is the truth. It doesn't make the person a less good doctor but then definitely not noble.

As for me, I still have no idea what drives me. One thing for sure definitely not money or now I would have been in one of those money minting hospital. I know I enjoy doing what I do, I enjoy 'helping' and educating people but most of all I relish the opportunity to look at the strength of other people.

I may be digressing into another issue but then, the theme is the same :Nobility. Everyday we are pushed with stories of so-called noble people helping others in the papers. So many politicians would step forward to lend a hand when a unfortunate event occurs - giving money (which is not theirs anyway!), assistance etc. And the generally it ends with a handshake on the frontpage.

It is so ingrained in people's mind that only if things we do get reported then only it is a good deed. Anyway, being a doctor, I get the wonderful window of opportunity to see everyday wonderful 'normal' people coping and doing their best in life. Some do it out of love, some out of responsibility and some just don't see any other way of doing things but they are doing the right thing.

One of these wonderful persons is a seventy year old man comes diligently to the hospital to accompany his 45 year old son who is a schizophrenia. He is still working but in his daily routine he also makes sure his 'kid' takes his medicine. He have seen the worst of his son's illness and he just wants to make sure it never recurs. And when the son was admitted with a fracture, he was there all the time to be by his side. Curious as I am, I did ask how did ask how he copes over the years and for him it is mainly because he doesn't want his son to suffer. And in his heart, he hopes that if he dies, it happens after he his son's.

And then some days you see a bed bound 25 year old cerebral palsy patient in the ward. The mom sits by her side all the time, alert to her every single breath. 25 years earlier she might have thought that at this time she may be a proud mother attending her girl's graduation but alas a twist of fate leads her to the current day. But then not a sigh, not a complaint and always smiling. I am sure previously she would have gone through the motions of grief but then at the present day she is the solid rock that ensure the 'child' is comfortable, 'healthy' and happy.

Well, there are so many individuals like that. They are the true heroes and they usually make me think "If I am thrown into that situation, how would I fare? Would I be psychologically prepared and emotionally strong to take in life and fate unfairness? Or would I bolt and run?". I have no idea. But then looking at these noble people gives you hope against life's twist of fate. And it gives us hope that there really is a human soul.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have u been sleeping with your good friend lately?

Bakawali said...

Uh...which 'good friend' la??? o And just to clarify Sleep =......??? hahaha...

anyway, put your name la... at least i know who I am talking to...

Asri said...

as long as the intention is pure, it really doesn't matter what you do for a living. But I guess really dedicated doctors get bonus points...